The title kinda says it all. I had some chorizo I wanted to use and I thought, “Apples go well with sausage.” Then, in the grocery store I found some manchego and thought, “Spanish cheese HAS to work with Spanish sausage.” And when you have meat and cheese, it is very natural to want to make a pizza. So…yeah. There isn’t really a great story behind this dish, but not every dish needs a great story.
For those who haven’t used/seen manchego before: it’s actually pretty awesome stuff. It has a hard rind like a parmesan, but it’s a LOT creamier (when you shred it, it has the consistency of like a monterey jack).
Also…beware: this pizza is greasy (but honestly, it’s hard to make something with chorizo that ISN’T greasy).
CHORIZO AND APPLE PIZZA
- Pizza dough, plus flour for rolling out
- Pam, or similar substance
- A couple links of chorizo (the fresher, the better)
- Bag of spinach
- An apple, sliced (I used a Braeburn–you want some sweetness)
- Manchego cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 375*F. Roll out the dough and place on a Pam-sprayed surface.
- Cook your sausage links for a bit in a skillet, to try to get some of the grease out (and chorizo is VERY GREASY).
- Layer the pizza as follows: spinach
- Cook for about 15-20 or until golden and bubbly.