This blog did start due to a “30 before 30” list I made (which…has not seen much progress lately I’m sad to say). Recently–won’t say when–I celebrated a birthday–won’t say which. I’ve never been much into birthdays. Don’t get me wrong; I love parties. But even as a kid I never got into the cheesy decorations and the balloons and sheet cake and all that jazz.
So this year for my birthday I celebrated at home with my parents and three close family friends. I was completely in charge of the menu and had gone to a specialty foods store the previous day (where I spent God-knows how much money). Here is the complete menu. I didn’t take pictures of everything because I’m an idiot. Note I will also probably post recipes later of some items:
- Duo of livers. Bought chicken liver mousse and made beef liver mousse. Served with fresh bread.
- Deconstructed New York style bagel. For that, used lox, creme fraiche, dill, and finely diced red onion. Layered and served on a kettle chip.
- Cheese plate–starch-less. We had:
- Point Reyes blue cheese with roasted beets.
- Sharp English cheddar with braeburn apples and lonzino
- North Carolina brie with fig preserves
- Local goat cheese with fresh strawberries and local honey
- Salad of golden and red beets, arugula, walnuts, golden raisins, apple, goat cheese and balsamic dressing. (Recipe will follow)
- Grilled London broil, sliced thin and served with a deconstructed Bloody Mary slaw. (Recipe will follow)
- Individual-sized ricotta custards with fresh blueberries. (Recipe will follow)